The AARP Tax-Aide Program sponsored by the Golden Age Foundation begins Monday, Feb. 4. Volunteers will prepare and e-file returns on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings. Call 596-1987 and leave name and telephone number on the GAF answer machine. A volunteer will return the call to schedule an appointment.
You must be a full-year California resident and qualify to file as single or married filing jointly. The following records should be brought to the appointment, if they are applicable to you:
• Social Security card, required
• Driver’s license, State issued ID or Leisure World photo ID
• Copy of 2017 Federal and State returns
• Forms 1099 for interest, dividends, pensions, social security benefits, sales of stocks
• Cost of stocks and bonds that were sold during 2018
• Form 1095-A if you purchased medical insurance through Covered California
• Forms W-2
• For itemized deductions, prepare and total a list of medical expenses, charitable contributions, taxes, interest and other deductions. Bring the list along with the organized receipts
• Copy of a check if you want a refund to be deposited into your checking account
Note that individuals with rental property, a net loss from self-employment, or out-of-state tax returns are not in-scope for this program.
An Intake/Interview Sheet (Form 13614-C) MUST be completed for each return that is prepared. For your convenience, the form is available in the Leisure World Library. Pick up the form and complete it in advance.
The tax preparation room is in Clubhouse 6, Room A, on the second floor. The process will take at least an hour to have the documents input, reviewed and the return prepared.