By Cheryl Falconer
On Saturday, April 22, 2023, The Golden Age Foundation hosted a celebration to commemorate 50th years of service to the Leisure World Seal Beach community. The event was extremely well attended with an estimated crowd over 750 shareholders.
The event kicked off outside Clubhouse 6 at 10:00 with the graceful movements in the dance of the Hui O Hula Dancers. Next in their first public appearance, the mellow tropical sounds of the Aloha Club Ukulele Players entertained the crowd under the canopies in the warm morning air. There was also face painting available for the young at heart.
Inside Clubhouse 6 the Opening Ceremony got underway at 11:00 am with a warm welcome and a short speech by GAF President Anna Derby who expressed her gratitude to the generous benefactors who donated to the Golden Age Foundation over the years. She also recognized the dedication and work of past and present members of the GAF Board of Directors and the countless volunteers for their time and talents over the past half century to the GAF and noted that they have made LW better place for all of us to live.
In his address, Seal Beach Mayor Thomas Moore reflected on the remarkable accomplishments of the Golden Age Foundation over the past half century, he pointed out the examples of the last couple of the Centenarian Luncheon Events the GAF hosted in 2019 and 2022 were truly the community services that lifted spirits of those who turned 100 years or older. State Senator Janet Nguyen presented Anna Derby on behalf of the GAF, with a Certificate of Recognition for 50 years of Service to LW residents. In her speech, State Senator Nguyen spoke of the tireless efforts of GAF volunteers and pointed out what a gift that was to our community. GRF President Marsha Gerber, the final speaker of the day presented Anna Derby with a plaque to commemorate the GAF’s 50th Anniversary and addressed the crowd.
At 11:30 residents were treated to a hot dog lunch served by Koffel Food Trucks, a Leisure World favorite. There was also a Lucille’s Food Truck at the event with a tasty selection of BBQ food items for purchase. Both indoor and outdoor dining was available, although by far most chose to dine alfresco to enjoy the warm spring breeze and music by the Second Wind, the third act of the day.
A poster presentation lined the walls of Clubhouse 6 memorializing past programs and events sponsored by the GAF and volunteers were available to provide information to attendees. Linda Johnson, the GAF Historian displayed photo albums from the GAF Historical Archives for residents to view. Beth Greeley, the GAF IT Chair assembled a collection of video clips from past events for residents to enjoy. Mobility Aid Program Volunteers showed off a variety of mobility aids available for loan and answered residents’ questions. There were a total of 10 tables on display which included Golden Age Foundation, Optum Health Care, Elim Acupuncture Group, More Prepared which shareholders can purchase ready-made Go Bags, the Korean American Association, the City of Seal Beach, Financial Partners Credit Union, Alzheimer’s Association of Orange County and the LW CERT and Emergency Information Council who shares a table.
At 12:45 the final act of the day, the Coconut Breeze took the stage and entertained the crowd through the remainder of the event. The Eight of L.W Video Producers Club members circulated throughout the day to memorialize the festivities on film and photos. The event concluded at 2:00 pm and I think it is fair to say a good time was had by all.
On behalf of the GAF, I would like to thank everyone involved in the event. A special thank you is in order for GRF Recreation Manager Tommy Fileto, his staff and Sound Technician Jesse Gomez for their hard work from beginning to end ensuring GAF staff got what they needed for inside and outside programs to insure everything was seamless.
If you would like to donate or would like to volunteer, please contact (562) 431-9589 to leave a message, GAF phone distributor will get back to you within 24-48 hours.
The Golden Age Foundation tax ID number is 23-7273105, the address is P.O.Box 2369, Seal Beach, CA 90740.
Who We Are
The Golden Age Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that has been serving the Leisure World community for over 48 years. Through the support of volunteers, individuals and organizations the Foundation has organized and implemented many programs that have benefited our community.
Our Covid Response
This year was very challenging as we were faced with a pandemic that had deeply affected many of our community. In response to the Covid 19 Crisis we have:
- Worked with the Golden Rain Foundation and the City of Seal Beach to distribute approximately 40,000 face masks to shareholders as well as those who work behind the scenes here in Leisure World.
- Contributed over $100,000 to support Meals on Wheels of Orange County and Meals on Wheels of Long Beach. These programs helped to feed thousands of our shareholders who were unable to cook or shop.
- Provided volunteers to help facilitate the Optium/GRF covid vaccine program.
Core Foundation Programs
- Hospitality Center Located in Clubhouse 6 serves morning coffee and snacks to thousands of residents providing a place and opportunity to socialize and meet their neighbors
- Income Tax Preparation in partnership with AARP. Filing taxes is important as it helps to prevent identity left and as we recently experienced, those who filed income tax returns were able to receive stimulus payments as part of the federal pandemic response
- Mobility Aids Program the Golden Age Foundation provides free rental of mobility aids including walkers and wheel chairs.
- Document Shredding which helps support our recycling efforts but importantly helps protect our shareholders from identity theft
- Environmental Efforts which include battery and florescent bulbs recycling program
The Golden Age Foundation urges all prospective donors to seek assistance of personal legal and financial advisors in matters relating to their gifts including the resulting tax and estate planning consequences.
- Our base annual dues are $10.00 and this money will allow us to continue to support our community.
- Please fill out the form at the bottom of this article
- Make your payment by check to the Golden Age Foundation
- Mail to: Golden Age Foundation, P.O. Box 2369, Seal Beach, CA 90740
- or you can drop it off at the Hospitality Center at clubhouse six. Simply place it in the donation box.
- If paying by cash please make sure you securely seal the envelope.
Golden Age Foundation
P.O. Box 2369
Seal Beach, California 90740
Our tax id is 23-7273105.